The entire range has been given a styling makeover, gaining resculpted headlights, a new face with a wing-like chrome grille garnish and a restyled bumper, and updated tail lamps at the rear.
Depending on the model, there is also new LED lighting at both ends, including dual-LED headlights on the rangetopping ZR model.
The ZR, along with the midspec SX, both now also feature a new sports styling kit that adds a sharper look to both models.
The range is again powered by Toyota’s 103kW 1.8 litre four-cylinder petrol engine, although the carmaker says it has improved fuel use by up to 7.6 percent.
Six-speed manual models now list fuel use at 6.7 l/100km – down from 7.1 l/100km – while the CVT ‘Multi-Drive’ auto improves half a litre to 6.1 l/100km.
That improvement is also thanks in part to revised suspension that includes better initial roll damping, reduced friction and greater straight-line ride comfort.
There have also been revisions to the shock absorbers with MacPherson struts up front, along with upgraded stabiliser bushes and coils.
Watch for TMR’s coming review to see how those changes have improved the Corolla hatch’s handling and comfort.
“Corolla hatch customers now have a clear choice between two compelling new designs: classic or sporty both of which deliver a greater presence and visually broader stance,” Toyota Australia’s sales boss Tony Cramb said. “Buyers will also be attracted by a more stylish interior, undertheskin tweaks that dial up the funtodrive factor and lower fuel consumption that will result in an even lower cost of ownership,” he said.
For the new model year, there’s a $300 price increase on Ascent and Ascent Sport, while the ZR model is now $1000 cheaper. SX pricing is unchanged.
The interior of the updated Corolla range has been refreshed for the new model year, bringing a “crisper, higher quality” look to the air-vents, door handles and gearlever surround.
Importantly, the Australian range now also features the more stylish and better integrated infotainment display that has appeared in European models since the current generation first appeared in 2012.
In the entry Ascent model, that means a 6.1 inch display with reversing camera, while all other models get a 7.0 inch display.
The SX and ZR models, above the Ascent and Ascent Sport, also get satellite navigation, along with live SUNA traffic updates, Destination Assist, and “Navigate to” voice control.
Also standard in SX and ZR is a 4.2 inch multifunction display in the centre of the instrument cluster, 17-inch alloy wheels, and a sports styling kit.
Upgrading to the topspec ZR adds autolevelling Bi-LED headlights, LED daytime lamps, heated folding mirrors, leather seat trim, heated front seats and more.
- Vehicle stability control
- Traction control
- Seven airbags
- ABS with BA and EBD
- Reversing camera
- Cruise control
- Tiltandtelescopic steering column
- Emergency brake signal
- HillStart Assist Control
- Bihalogen projector headlamps (manual levelling)
- Display audio with 6.1inch touch screen, six speakers
- LCD multiinformation display (MID)
- Power windows, mirrors and door locks
- 16inch steel wheels with full covers
- 205/55R16 tyres
- Manual airconditioning
- Steeringwheel switches (MID, telephone, audio)
Ascent Sport (above Ascent)
- 16-inch alloy wheels
- Seveninch touchscreen with voice recognition
- Toyota Link connected mobility
- Destination Download
- Local search
- Toyota Help
- Front fog lamps
- Premium steering wheel, shiftlever knob
- Privacy glass
SX (above Ascent Sport)
- Satellite navigation
- Live traffic SUNA
- Additional Toyota Link functions:
- Destination Assist (pay per use)
- “Navigate to” for Destination Download, Local Search and Fuel Finder
- 17-inch alloy wheels with 215/45R17 tyres
- Front spoiler
- Rear bumper skirts
- Rear spoiler (roof mounted)
- Side skirts
- Fullcolour 4.2inch MID screen
- Sport front bucket seats
- Sport seat trim
- Paddle shifters
ZR (above SX)
- Smart entry and start (keyless)
- BiLED headlamps (auto levelling)
- Headlamp cleaner
- LED daytime running lamps
- Heated, electrically folding door mirrors
- Electrochromatic rearview mirror
- Dualzone automatic airconditioning
- Leatheraccented seat trim
- Driver and front passenger seat heaters
- Driver’s seat power lumbar support
PRICING (excludes on-road costs)
- Ascent – manual – $19,790
- Ascent – auto – $21,790
- Ascent Sport – manual – $20,790
- Ascent Sport – auto – $22,790
- SX – manual – $23,490
- SX – auto – $25,490
- ZR – auto – $28,990
Metallic, pearl paint – $450
Panoramic roof (ZR only) – $1500