2016 Toyota LandCruiser Prado pricing and specifications
The updated, 2016 Toyota LandCruiser Prado has arrived on local shores, primed to take on rivals such as the forthcoming, Australian-developed Ford Everest.
Headlining the list of changes for the MY16 Toyota Prado is the introduction of a new, downsized 2.8-litre turbo-diesel engine with better efficiency yet more torque than before, a new six-speed automatic transmission (up from five speeds), a tweaked V6 petrol engine and some more equipment on select versions.
Additionally, Toyota has also increased the price by between 0.5 and 2.6 per cent, though it’s worth recalling Toyota also cut its pricing by between $2730 and $7630 on January 1 this year in the wake of the Australia-Japan free-trade agreement.
Toyota Prado (front to rear): Kakadu, VX, GXL and GX
The Prado is Australia’s top-selling large SUV in 2015, with 8925 units registered (down 8.2 per cent), overtaking the flagging Jeep Grand Cherokee.
Since 1997, Toyota has sold 237,000 of them, making it the second biggest-selling SUV in Australia over the past 19 years. Australia accounted for 8.6 percent of Prado sales around the world last year, with China in first place globally.
Powering the MY16 Toyota Prado range is a new 2.8-litre turbo-diesel engine (familiar from the new HiLux) producing outputs of 130kW at 3400rpm and up to 450Nm between 1600 and 2400rpm with the auto, though only 420Nm between 1400 and 2600rpm with the six-speed manual.
Toyota Prado GX
The new engine, despite its 227cc smaller displacement than the old engine, thereby makes 3kW/40Nm more than the outgoing 3.0 unit. Fuel economy, at a claimed 7.9L/100km with the manual and 8.0L/100km with the auto, is down between 6 and 10 per cent.
Towing capacity remains 2500kg, which trails some ute-based rivals. Familiarly, entry variants sport independent front suspension and a solid rear live axle, while the upmarket VX and Kakadu have an electronically modulated Kinetic Dynamic Suspension System at the rear. The Kakadu builds on this with adaptive variable suspension and rear air suspension.
Meanwhile, the familiar (and far less purchased) 4.0-litre petrol V6 engine with 11.6L/100km fuel economy has been tweaked to produce 207kW (up 5kW) and an unchanged 381Nm. Emissions have been slightly reduced to meet Euro 5 requirements. Additions include new injectors and a modified exhaust.
Both variants have 87 litre main tanks and a 63L sub-tank.
The Prado’s line-up remains unchanged: the diesel-only GX is available with five or seven seats while seven-seat GXL, VX and Kakadu offer the choice of engines. The two higher grades are auto only.
The addition of satellite navigation to the popular GXL grade brings this technology to the vast majority of Prado buyers. The GXL — including the special-edition Altitude diesel based on this grade — accounts for more than three-quarters of all Prado sales.
Toyota Prado Kakadu
These Prado updates arrive less than two years after the range was comprehensively freshened with new exterior styling, and a more refined interior.
LandCruiser Prado is covered by Toyota Service Advantage capped-price servicing at $220 per service. This covers six standard scheduled services each for the first three years or 60,000km (whichever occurs first). Service intervals on Prado are every six months or 10,000km (whichever occurs first).
2015 Toyota LandCruiser Prado pricing (plus on-road costs):
- GX 5-seat manual $52,990 (+$1000)
- GX 5-seat auto $54,990 (+$500)
- GX 7-seat manual $55,490 (+$1000)
- GX 7-seat auto $57,490 (+$500)
- GXL 7-seat manual $59,990 (+$1500)
- GXL 7-seat auto $61,990 (+$1000)
- VX 7-seat auto $73,990 (+$390)
- Kakadu 7-seat auto $84,490 (+$390)
- GXL 7-seat auto $60,990 (+$1000)
- VX 7-seat auto $72,990 (+$390)
- Kakadu 7-seat auto $83,490 (+$390)
Option: Premium paint $550
Toyota Prado GXL
Equipment by grade:
- Five seats on GX (seven-seat option)
- Seven airbags
- Display audio and rear-view camera
- Trailer Sway Control
- Emergency brake signal
- Whiplash injury lessening front seats
- Vehicle stability control
- Active traction control (A-TRC)
- ABS with electronic brake-force distribution (EBD) and brake assist (BA)
- Cruise control
- Smart entry and smart start
- Tilt and telescopic steering column adjustment
- 220-volt rear accessory socket
- Bluetooth hands-free mobile telephone capability
- USB auxiliary input and iPod control
- Audio and phone controls on the steering wheel
- Side mirror-mounted indicators
- Alloy wheels
- Conversation mirror
- UV-cut glass
- Maximum 2500kg towing capacity
Prado GX automatic:
- Hill-Start Assist Control (HAC)
- Downhill Assist Control (DAC)
Prado GXL (in addition to GX):
- Seven seats standard (including third row coverage of curtain-shield airbag)
- Satellite navigation
- Toyota Link with “navigate to” function
- Nine speakers
- Climate-control three-zone air conditioning
- Rear parking sensors
- Alarm system
- Front fog lamps
- Roof rails
- Side steps
- Premium steering wheel
- Premium shift lever knob and handbrake lever
- Roller blind-type tonneau cover
- Sun visor extensions
- Privacy glass
- Two additional cup holders
- Heated and power-retractable exterior mirrors
Prado VX (in addition to GXL):
- Electronically modulated Kinetic Dynamic Suspension System (KDSS) suspension
- 18-inch alloy wheels
- Automatic on/off LED headlamps and headlamp jet washers
- Rain-sensing intermittent wipers
- Leather-accented seats
- Heated front and second-row seats
- Power adjustment for the tilt and telescopic steering column
- Power-folding third-row seat
- Front parking sensors
- 17-speaker premium JBL audio
- DAB+ digital radio
- Time-delay auto-cut headlights
- Electro-chromatic interior mirror
- Illuminated entry system
- Chrome interior door handles
- Luggage utility rails
- Full-colour multi-information display with steering wheel switch
Prado Kakadu (in addition to VX):
- Rear cross traffic alert
- Blind spot monitor
- Pre-crash safety system
- Radar cruise control with steering wheel-mounted controls
- Blu-ray rear-seat entertainment system
- Five-mode CRAWL control
- Four-camera Multi-Terrain Monitor
- Electronic rear differential lock
- Toyota Adaptive Variable Suspension
- Height-adjustable and auto-levelling rear air suspension
- Multi-Terrain Select (MTS) traction-control switch
- Refrigerated cool box
- Enhanced ornamentation
- Key-linked driver’s seat and steering column two-position memory pack